He was elected to the Senate in 2005. During his legislative service, he has been the recipient of the Utah Adult Protective Services Outstanding Achievement Award and the "It begins with Me Award" from Zion's Bank. Senator Van Tassell is the Chair for the Senate Rules Committee.
In 2016, he served on the following committees:
- Infrastructure and General Government Appropriations Subcommittee
- Natural Resources, Agriculture, and Environmental Quality Appropriations Subcommittee
- Senate Rules Committee (Chair)
- Senate Transportation and Public Utilities and Technology Committee
- Senate Health and Human Services Committee
Kevin is active in his church, having served a mission in the Northern States, served as a clerk and bishopric councilors and taught youth and adults in various capacities, including Service Scout Master and Cub Master. He has served as a youth softball coach and a girls’ basketball coach. He enjoys cooking and has won several Dutch oven cooking awards. Kevin and his wife Janice have five daughters and 29 grandchildren.
The Public Relations Committee of the Vernal Area Chamber of Commerce is pleased to present to Kevin Van Tassell the Quarterly Outstanding Public Service award for the fourth quarter of 2015-2016.